Charlotte's Corner: In the Meekness of Wisdom

I love studying the book of James. There is much in this wonderful book that challenges, convicts and encourages me.

James talks about meekness and wisdom in James 3:13-he says, Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in meekness of wisdom(NKJV)

I have known many wise and understanding people in my lifetime. When I think of the wisest of all, I think of our Savior Jesus Christ. As 1 Corinthians 1:30 says “He is wisdom from God”.

I also think of a wonderful and gentle lady whos meekness made her strong.

That lady was my mother-in-law Emma Lou Akin and she was wise in the Lord. Her Meekness and strengths were qualities that were acquired through many days and years spent on her knees in prayer. She was godly in so many ways because of her relationship with Jesus!

These kinds of qualities come from Christ.

Stubborn pride and self-centeredness will be replaced with meekness, gentleness, and self-control. In our efforts to become knowledgeable and wise we can’t forget that the wisest thing we can do is lean on and trust in the wise man we know to be our savior, Jesus Christ.

In Matthew 11:29 Jesus used the word gentle and humble to describe himself.

This verse says, “ take my yoke and learn from Me, because I am gentle and humble in heart. (CSV).

I know most days I cannot say this about myself. What about you?

When we stop and think about how valuable our quiet times alone in prayer with our Lord are and how important it is to know His Word, then why would we skip this wonderful and cherished time?

Our wisdom, meekness, and strength have to come from Jesus, because without him we do not possess any of these traits. We are sinners and any goodness we have comes from our saving relationship with Jesus.

This verse in James is telling us that if we are wise and understanding then our lives will show it. We will be known among others for our works done in the wisdom of meekness.

I thank the Lord often for giving me such a wonderful and incredible mother-in-law. Emma Lou was the kind of lady you want to be like, because she was a wonderful and godly example. I want my granddaughters to know ladies like her to show them that being humble, and gentle and meek is a strength that comes from your relationship to the Lord. As James says let us show good conduct that our works are done in the meekness of wisdom.

I want to be a lady like Emma Lou. I want to be known as someone who loves the Lord with her whole heart. I want to show others that Christ is the center of my life and without him I am useless.

In his commentary faith that works, Dr. Jimmy Draper says this: “ Meekness is controlled power, energy harnessed for the glory of God. Our humble attitude glorifies the Lord. This gentle meekness is a characteristic from the Lord and for His Glory.

Sweet ladies I pray this prayer for myself and for you all as we live our lives for Christ, in Him alone our hope is found.

Dear heavenly Father, I pray for wisdom and understanding that comes from You alone.

Create in me a meek and gentle spirit for Your glory. Amen

say

hello to

miss Charlotte!

Miss Charlotte Akin is married to Dr. Daniel Akin, president at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, and has faithfully served the women at Southeastern for many years.

This is Miss Charlotte and her beloved mother-in-law, Emma Lou.

Women Around SE SEBTS