Tribute to Emma Lou Akin

Emma Lou Akin was my mother-in-law and she was the godliest woman that I have ever known.  I was closer to Emma than I was my own mother.  My parents had divorced when I was seven and we bounced around for two years between momma and daddy.  I went to live in a children’s home when I was nine years old.  At age eleven I trusted in Jesus as my Lord and Savior and He became both my earthly Father and my Heavenly Father.  I met Danny Akin when I was sixteen and he was the man of my dreams.  At eighteen I moved in with his parents after he left to go to Criswell Bible College.  Emma treated me with love and respect and taught me many things.  She always thought of others before herself.  She was humble and lived her life as a testimony to the Lord.  She was practical and servant-hearted.  I learned a lot of these traits from her and I am so thankful that the Lord led me to this wonderful example of a wife and a mother.  I have one of her many Bibles and one of the verses written out is Philippians 4:6-8, which says, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything through prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your prayers be made known to God.”  This is simply how she lived her life, completely dependent upon the Lord.  It is my desire to become a woman like this! As we move into the season of Thanksgiving, let us do exactly what this verse says. Let us remember, in all of our busyness, to be anxious for nothing, but in everything be thankful to God. Because of the salvation He has given us, we have a reason to be thankful in everything!   
Emma’s Chocolate Pie

Emma was a wonderful cook and baker. Her chocolate pie was always a family favorite, especially around Thanksgiving and Christmas! I can’t tell you how many times Emma made this pie. I’m happy to share her recipe with you all and I hope you enjoy it!

1 c. sugar
1 heaping T. cocoa
1 tsp. vanilla
2 T. flour
1 c. milk
3 eggs (save whites for meringue)
2 T. butter

**Mix well.  Cook slowly over low heat until thick.  Pour into baked pie crust.  Top with meringue and brown at 400F.

Meringue:

3 egg whites
½ tsp. vanilla
¼ tsp. cream of tartar
4 T. sugar

**Beat whites with vanilla, cream of tartar till soft peaks form.  Gradually add sugar, beating till stiff and glossy peaks form and all sugar is dissolved.  Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing to edge of pastry. 

Happy Thanksgiving!

Charlotte Akin
Wife of Danny Akin, President of Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
Share